My Seven Link Challenge – what’s your opinion?

Barry Wells kindly tagged me as one of his 5 nominations, so as I can’t resist a challenge, here I am!

If you’re wondering what the Seven Link Challenge is all about, then this should give you the info (taken from

My 7 Links: The Rules
Welcome to the My 7 Links home page.

To unite bloggers (from all sectors) in a joint endeavor to share lessons learned and create

a bank of long but not forgotten blog posts that deserve to see the light of day again.

1) Blogger is nominated to take part

2) Blogger publishes his/her 7 links on his/her blog – 1 link for each category.

This shouldn’t take you long to do – don’t over-think it!

– Your most beautiful post
– Your most popular post
– Your most controversial post
– Your most helpful post
– A post whose success surprised you
– A post you feel didn’t get the attention it deserved
– The post that you are most proud of

3) Blogger nominates up to 5 more bloggers to take part.

(Feel free to nominate any kind of blog to take part – we want this project to be as inclusive as possible!)

4) These bloggers publish their 7 links and nominate another 5 more bloggers

5) And so it goes on!

So, I’ve been on a rummage back through the archives of my blog to dig out the ones that I think fit within each category. It’s funny; some were easy to identify, and some took me a little longer (and a few cups of tea & a debate or two with myself).

Without further ado, here are my 7 links:

My Most Beautiful Post:

Actually, this one is quite easy. Some of you will have seen this post already, but it’s a personal post about my relationship and overcoming my fear of commitment (or maybe it was just that I finally found someone as mad as me!).

My Most Popular Post:

Now, I do have one that has more comments than this, but that’s because we were having a blog comment dialogue on there, so it isn’t the most popular in the truest sense.

In fact, I shall just skim over my recent posts and see which has the most comments (other then the one I’ve just mentioned, and the one in the answer above…give me a moment…)

It’s my first ever Camtasia tutorial video, so it has the black bars of death (note to self; record PowerPoint at 16:9 ratio to prevent that happening!). But it got the most comments to date, so there it is!

My Most Controversial Post:

Unusually for me, I don’t think that I have anything controversial on this blog. There’s lots of talk of tea drinking & purple nonsense, but nothing of any controversy.

Maybe I shall have to go and create something specifically!

So…I’ll have to pick – a post about frequency of emailing your list – that’s the nearest to controversy that I have for now!

My Most Helpful Post:

Hmm, this one is difficult to judge. Quite a few people have commented on a variety of my posts to say that the information that I have provided has been of use to them. Decisions decisions; which one do I pick?!

I’m going for this one:

As the free report that I offered there on how I revamped my blog got a lot of praise from people, and has been accessed by over 183 people (according to my link cloaking software!). So that highlighted to some people that I can provide useful information over here, and from that I’ve created the free Easy Video Player report plus a whole host of videos (you can see those on my YouTube channel).

So as this is kind of where it started, I’ll go for that!

A Post Whose Success Surprised Me:

This one is an old post that I’ve found – it’s about remembering to take time out for you, as if we aren’t looking after ourselves then all of this becomes pointless.

But looking at it, it had a lot of comments at a time when I wasn’t getting so many…so that qualifies for ‘surprising success’ I think?!

A Post I Feel Didn’t Get The Attention It Deserved:

I had trouble thinking of one until I went fishing through my archives. My first adventure to Rome only got 7 comments, and that just doesn’t seem enough given how much detail I put in there! That being said, I know most people have got thoroughly bored with me talking about Rome all the time, but here you go:

(There’s lots of pictures if you aren’t in the mood for reading!)

The Post That I Am Most Proud Of:

To be fair I’m proud of a few of my posts. The first one I linked above, for example, where I was really open about my feelings for once. However, I’m going to pick this one because it showed how far I was progressing through my Learn With Sally coachingprior to taking that course, I had always avoided video marketing and the thought of appearing in front of a camera filled me with dread.

But I faced my fears and so this post shows me in front of the camera for the first time ever (well, apart from that one time in Vegas…)

So now I’ve shared my 7 links with you, I have to nominate 5 people to take part!

What does my crystal ball say…(other than “drink more tea”!).

Right, here goes:

Mandy Allen, co-student on the Learn With Sally course

Hilary Dickinson, was on Alex Jeffreys’ coaching with me at the beginning

Nigel Yip, was an AJ student and also an LWS student with me

Sonia Hoque, a new friend that I have made in the IM arena.

Sally Neill, who is both my friend and my coach on the Learn With Sally course (and now the course has just finished, I’m sure she’d love to take up this challenge!!)

I don’t think any of you have been nominated yet; apologies if you have!

So what did you think of the posts that I linked above?

This was quite a fun challenge for me, so I hope you enjoyed taking a look.

As always, leave me a comment to share your opinions.

Speak soon,

If you've enjoyed this post, I'd be grateful if you'd share it with your friends or anyone else that you feel it could help.

16 replies
  1. Barry Wells
    Barry Wells says:

Hi Nikki my F F F Friend.

Fairplay for taking the challenge and running with it. I’ve started going through the posts and will finish the others over the next day or two 😉

You included some excellent posts, some I’ve read before and some i hadn’t so it was good to see them.

Your blog and layout look so much better now, it’s great Nikki. Did you enjoy going through your older blogs and seeing the journey you’ve been on? I loved that part of the challenge and found it really gave me a boost 😉

You’re brave picking on Teacher…… Anyone would think she’s got nothing to do now that class has finished 😆

I found choosing the bloggers to nominate a bit more challenging than the challenge itself, but you’ve chosen a good bunch Nikki.

Take care mate,
    Barry Wells recently posted..Learn With Sally: All Good Things Must Come To An End

Nikki Reply:

Hey Barry,

Thanks for nominating me for the challenge! I do love a good challenge and this was a great one.

It was funny going back through some of my old posts, reading the comments from people that aren’t as engaged with my blog as they used to be – entirely my own fault as it did turn into a bit of a wilderness here!

As for me picking on Sally (er, I mean nominating Sally) – it’s because I know she’ll have loads of great posts to pick from, so we’ll be in for a treat if she does it! People can always say no to me….(though I do have to add that the few foolish people that have said no to me previously haven’t been seen again….mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

Catch up with you soon Barry, thanks for coming over & commenting.

The Productive Purple Princess!

2. Adrienne
    Adrienne says:

Hey Nikki,

Great job on this challenge and looks like I have more posts to go through. Glad Barry included you on his list. Did you enjoy going back through your blog posts and figuring out which ones you wanted to include? I know I sure did, thought it was really kind of fun.

Thanks for sharing these and look forward to seeing if Miss Sally will take you up on this challenge.

Adrienne recently posted..I Accept The 7 Links Challenge

Nikki Reply:

Hey Adrienne,

Thanks for nominating Barry who in turn nominated me!

Yes, I did enjoy my trip down memory lane; this is now the third incarnation of my blog and it was funny to read back at when I had my previous redesign and the problems I had with my first free theme.

When I think back to when I started, I’m amazed at how far I’ve progressed – and the past couple of months have suddenly propelled me forwards at incredible speed!

Thanks for adding your link to your 7 Links Challenge, now we can all learn more about each other!

Speak soon,

3. Mandy Allen
    Mandy Allen says:

Excellent choices, Nikki. Thanks for including me on your list, I’ll be sure to take part over the next few weeks and will post my decisions on facebook so you can all check them out!

Enjoy the journey.

Mandy Allen recently posted..Randy Smith’s Northallerton Marketing Meetup

Nikki Reply:

Hey Mandy,

I know Barry was kind and didn’t include you as you are really busy at the moment, but I thought you may find time in a couple of weeks (not suggesting Xmas of course!) as you’ve got a lot of valuable information on your blog to share with people.

I shall keep an eye out for it!

Enjoy the next Northallerton Marketing Meetup, and I’ll catch up with you soon.

4. Nigel Yip
    Nigel Yip says:

Hi Nikki,

Haha nominating our Coach Sally Neill, now that is uber-cool, wonder if Sally will join???? and Thanks for also nominating me as well, I too like Mandy and the others will sure to take part within the next fortnight

Catch up soon
    Nigel Yip recently posted..LWS 12 – The Affiliate Annihilator

Nikki Reply:

Hey Nigel,

Oh you don’t get to escape from this I’m afraid! Besides, I know you’ve got lots of great posts on your blog so you should find this quite easy!

I look forward to reading your post selection once it’s done (no pressure or anything!).

Speak soon,

5. Julie
    Julie says:

Hi Nikki,

Great post. I’m not surprised about your Most Popular Post, it is very useful information and the video and instructions are tops. :-)

I went back to have a look at a couple of your posts I hadn’t read and was unable to view the videos, a link popped up to E-Junkie TV and there it wasn’t your video either.

Nice one Nikki, well done
    Take Care
    Julie recently posted..The 7 Link Challenge; Who’s Next Up in the Hot-Seat?

Nikki Reply:

Hey Julie,

Ooh that’s interesting – they were working the other day, but I’ll have to go back & check – there’s no point in me putting videos on my blog if they can’t be seen! Thanks for letting me know; I know e-junkie changed recently so it could be that they no longer support embedding your own videos or something.

I shall investigate!

How did Movember go for you?

I’ll pop over to your blog and take a look at your 7 Links as well – thanks Julie!

Speak soon,

6. Sally
    Sally says:

Hey Hey Hey Chick

How dare ya nominate me lol.

I will do it, but don’t hold your breathe just yet lol, have my next few posts planned but once they are out the way I shall squeeze in the challenge :)

Gotta stick to my plans or they will go to pot lol.

It’s lovely to see you shouting out all your older posts, your blog is just packed with value now, it’s awesome.

Gotta admit I love all the videos you create, that’s defo your “thang” your shine in front of the camera.

My personal favourite post was the one about you meeting Chris, made me all warm inside and gave me hope for my own hopeless lovelife ha ha ha.

Catch ya later chick, Sally x
    Sally recently posted..I’m still climbing the ladder of success, are you?

Nikki Reply:

Hey Coach Sally!

Well, I know you’ve got tons of value on your blog so thought it might help new readers get a little taster of what they can find – so actually there was a little method to my madness!

Yes, I can definitely see that I provide a lot more value now to my readers – but that’s all since starting your coaching! Prior to that of course I didn’t know how to create videos and hid from it (hating the sound of my voice on any recordings – though I’m getting used to it now).

Aww, yeah, that personal post of mine is rather sweet isn’t it! It’s funny, I wasn’t sure whether to put something so personal on my blog but I think it’s helped people to get to know me as a person as well as a rambling Purple Minxy Witch.

More mushiness now – until I met Chris, my lovelife was beyond hopeless and I just got bored after about 2 months!

But on reflection, those previous attempts at relationships obviously weren’t the right ones…anything that’s more effort than pleasure is a waste of your time (in fact, I think that fits in with various areas of life!!).

Catch you soon,

Nikki xx

7. Ian Ieba
    Ian Ieba says:

Hi Nikki

Eventually made it over!

You have chosen a great bunch of posts here Nikki and I have read and commented on most of them (only some Ian!) I know my bad I know but I will read the remaining 2 Nikki I promise 😉

If I was to choose a favourite Nikki it would have to be “Check out my brand spanking newly revamped blog” as it set me on my way to re-designing my new look blog, and the free report really helped me 😉

I think you have done a great job on your blog with the new look and if we see the Purple Witch on a broom Image on other blogs on around the net we know it’s you!

So did you get a buzz from going through your old posts and how difficult did you find it to pick one out for each category?

I have just had the baton passed to me so I need to sort out my post, but got some things to do first as I go on holiday soon and need to tie a few things up beforehand.

Great post Nikki; well done…

Take care, catch up real soon

Ian :)
    Ian Ieba recently posted..PLR – Private Label Rights Part 6

Nikki Reply:

Hey Ian,

I’m glad that you liked my selection! I’m also really pleased that you found my post on the revamping of my blog (& the subsequent report) helpful; I did have the fear that I’d lose everything but I thought – nothing ventured, nothing gained!

As for my witch, yes, that was one of my reasons for commissioning her, so that I could put her on things of mine & therefore she would become an instantly recognisable part of my brand. That, and she’s quite sweet to look at and quite unusual, so that all helps to cement me (or her!) into people’s minds!

It’s funny, some of the posts I found easy to categorise, but others were a lot harder. It was definitely fun going back through all my old posts & enjoying my trip down Memory Lane though.

Oooh yes, I hope you have a great holiday, and please say hello to Kathy for me when you meet up!

Catch up with you soon,

8. Dawn Kay
    Dawn Kay says:

Whasssssuuuuuup Nikki

Well done on getting your posts sorted and what a brave person you are for picking on Sally ha ha…

God it’s hard to pick one of your best posts because you’ve got a lot of fab ones but if I had to choose it would be the first video you did showing how to set up your Amazon s3 account…

Was really informative and funny too ha ha

One question though???

Where’s that whasssssuuuuuuppppp video you promised lol

Catch ya later

Dawn Kay recently posted..Spotlight On My Fab iTunes Reviewers

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!