My Goals for 2012: aka Nikki’s Life Improvement Plan

Kind of as the picture suggests, really.

Anyway, I know I’m a bit late with sharing this.  I wasn’t sure whether to or not as I’m still in the process of fleshing these out into specific tasks (& then diarising those tasks), so it may seem a bit woolly at the moment.

Firstly, I should confess:  I rarely make New Year’s Resolutions.  Actually, make that never.

For me, they always seem to be about giving something up, or some kind of deprivation, or some other negative connotation.

So instead I normally think about stuff I’d like to do, or try etc; and then make that into a bit of a goal for the year.

Yeah…you’ve guessed it; I don’t get that far with those either.  Or I kind of start on them, or do something about them, and then get bored / distracted by the mundane nonsense of everyday life.

I am the Queen of Procrastination.  The Grand Emperor.  The Big Cheese.  I’m not saying this to impress you; who on earth would ever be impressed by the fact that I repeatedly stop myself from achieving anything?

I’m just saying it so that you know I’m human.  I make mistakes, I waste time, money, and anything else you care to mention.

However – this year, I have decided that things will be different.

What’s the old phrase: “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always got” (or something along those lines).

Well, I want to do something different with my life.

It’s no secret that I want to work for myself.

It’s also no secret that I resent the fact that my life is ruled by my alarm clock.

(If we’re friends on Facebook you’ll have seen me bemoaning this very fact on a regular basis!)

So I knew I had to do something to ensure that this year won’t be like my previous years – I want to get to December 2012 and be proud of what I’ve achieved throughout the year.

Now, as I am generally Captain Organised** in most areas of my life I knew I just needed to pull some structure together around all of this and then diarise certain tasks relating to the goals so that I’m reminded to do certain things.

(**some might say I work in organised chaos, which would be a fair judgement.  But actually it’s not that bad – when it does get silly then I take a break, sort everything out, and then carry on).

So I made a list of stuff I want to achieve this year, from small things like getting more sleep, to big things like creating 3 products this year.

Then I categorised them all to give me (counts on fingers & toes) 12 overarching goals.

Then each month, I pick 4 of these big overarching goals to focus on.  Each of these gets up to 4 tasks allocated (so for each month, a maximum of 16 goal-related tasks).  These then get diarised.

I have a nice little Filofax & so I’ve got it all set up to have these lists in them.  Oh how I love lists!

The aim is that by the end of the year, I will have done everything on my original list of stuff – but not only that; I’ll have done it in an organised and productive way.

For example, one of mine is that I’ll be making a substantial and regular income online by the end of 2012, as that will then buy me my freedom.  Obviously there are several tasks involved in working towards & ultimately achieving this, so that’s why the breakdown into tasks is absolutely crucial.  Rome wasn’t built in a day, after all!

____________________________________________

How about you?  Have you set goals for 2012?  How will you know you’ve achieved them?  What will your rewards be?

Let me know in the comments below!

Speak soon,

Captain Organised

(Yes, I know, another nickname!)

15 replies
  1. sonia
    sonia says:

Hi Nikki,

Your goals for 2012 are very realistic and attainable. You can certainly achieve them once you employ the positive mindset in conjunction with your personal development, you will achieve then. I wrote extensively about the “Entrepreneur’s Mindset” On my blog which is truly my passion to help people attain their goals through personal development and Self-enrichment. Great post and thanks for sharing.

Nikki Reply:

Hi Sonia,

Yes, getting in the right mindset is absolutely crucial when you’re chasing success. Thanks for letting me know about your blog, I’ll pop over later to check it out!

Speak soon,

Nikki

2. Mandy Allen
    Mandy Allen says:

You can’t be the Queen of Procrastination, Nikki, because I AM! I am also a bit of a hedonist, which I suspect you are too! Well done for setting goals, and revealing all on here because now we can all ask how you are getting on, can’t we!

Enjoy the journey.

Mandy
    Mandy Allen recently posted..Welcome to 2012

Nikki Reply:

Hey Mandy,

Ok, I’ll be the Queen of Procrastination for the south west of the UK then!

I’m still sorting the detail of the goals out but I’ll do some updates on my blog throughout the year so that we can all work on keeping me accountable.

How’s the marathon training going?

Catch up with you soon,

Nikki

3. Sally
    Sally says:

No No No Noooooooooooooooooooo

where r the goals?????

You gotta share them, I cant see your filofax lol x

I am a proper nosey person, so I gotta see what ya got planned.

Have to say your are slighty more organized than me as I have yet to make my year goals, yes yes I know it’s end Jan, but I am a late developer 😉 lol.

Mine are coming.. if you show me yours I will show you mine ha!

Sally xx
    Sally recently posted..I’m still climbing the ladder of success, are you?

Nikki Reply:

Ha ha ha – the actual goals – I’m creating a report on it now, because a) I want something nice to read & look at & remind me of what I should be doing, and b) because my blog post would be way too long if I put them all in here!

Also, some of them are reasonably personal, so I’m just checking how comfortable I feel with sharing everything with you all…

Oh, that, and I need to actually finish setting them all out – some are still huge non-specific goals that need to be broken down into manageable chunks…

However, we have a deal – you show me yours and I’ll send you mine once they’re done!!

Nikki xx

4. igor Griffiths
    igor Griffiths says:

Nikki congrats on finding a way to plan that works with you, I have tried many and most just do not sit well with my way of working which tends to be more Tasmanian Devil than business like.

Finding your overarching goal is the first step then working out how to get there and what needs to be overcome are all that is needed in a plan, how you do this of course up to you and your personality.

Look forward to seeing how it all works out for you.

igor Griffiths
    igor Griffiths recently posted..You Don’t Trust Me

Nikki Reply:

Hey Igor,

Oh, I know the Tasmanian Devil approach far too well! In fact, my house looks like the Tasmanian Devil has taken up residence and spends every day rushing around and throwing everything on the floor.

In actual fact, it’s just me being a tramp.

Anyway, I digress. You’re right about finding the big overarching goal first and then breaking it down, and also that different people will do this in different ways.

Even then, the best laid plans can go awry as I shall explain in my next blog post coming soon!

Thanks for popping over Igor, catch up with you soon.

Nikki

5. Dawn Kay
    Dawn Kay says:

Hey Nikki

It’s good to see that you’ve made a plan for the year as you need to see what steps you need to take to be able to ditch your alarm clock lol

Although I’m with Sally on this one and wanna see more of them here on your blog so that we can all make you accountable.

Queen of procrastination you are not – have you forgot about how much you’ve achieved in such a short space of time and that’s from taking action misses!

Whassssssssssssuuuuppppp

Dawn
    Dawn Kay recently posted..Keith Purkiss Interview – Giveaway Event Contributor Tips

Nikki Reply:

Whasssssssssuuuuupppppp!

Hey Dawn,

Yep, don’t worry, you’ll be able to have the list soon, I’m just finishing off the report (having managed to leave it alone for a couple of weeks – bad me!). Then I’ll put it on here so you can all see what I want to do with my 2012 and you can help to keep me on track.

Hmm, that’s a fair point about the amount that I’ve achieved – but that was then, and now I seem to have let myself hibernate. All well and good, but I’m not going to get anything done by hibernating!

Being ill recently hasn’t helped, but I’m pretty much over that now, so I can pull my finger out and get back on track.

Speak soon,

Nikki

6. Adrienne
    Adrienne says:

As Sally said Nikki, so where are the goals? You’ve got to share them with us like certain things you want to accomplish.

I wrote mine out and made it my first post of this year. For mine though I just shared some things I’d be incorporating into this year mainly for my blog. Things like accepting guest posts this year and I’ve already had my first one last month. Doing more videos, writing some product reviews, a possible product in store, that sort of stuff.

Having plans for actionable steps is great but we have to see what you intend to accomplish by applying these steps. I know, something we can hold you too right.

I think though that the majority of us have faith in you girl. Maybe because you know we’ll all hold you to the procrastination now.

Here’s to the best year ever Nikki! I’m excited for you. Now, enjoy your week.

~Adrienne
    Adrienne recently posted..Advice To Me 10 Years Ago

Nikki Reply:

Hey Adrienne,

It’s a long list of stuff that I want to achieve this year – some a lot smaller than others. But I’m putting it all in a report (as much for my own use as anyone else’s!), so there will be a lot more detail coming soon.

Yep, you’ll be able to all hold me accountable and check how I’m getting on – I want my last post of 2012 (or first post of 2013) to be a reflection of my year and be able to have the satisfaction of looking back at all the things I’ll have ticked off my list.

Then I’ll have a real sense of achievement, and that is a great source of motivation!

Thanks for popping over here Adrienne, catch up with you soon.

Nikki

[Reply]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!